The House of Seven Gables Settlement Association site is a National Historic Landmark District; our campus includes six historic buildings. The building’s construction dates span from 1655 to 1830, and represent three distinct architectural styles still present in Salem.
Three of the structures on our site were moved to their current locations for preservation. They are the Hooper-Hathaway House (1682), the Retire-Beckett House (c.1655), and the Nathaniel Hawthorne Birthplace (c.1750). The Turner-Ingersoll Mansion (1668) – also known as The House of the Seven Gables – is the only building on its original foundation. At the center of the campus is the Seaside Gardens, also part of our landmark designation.
This collection from our archives contains photographs, drawings, blueprints, and plans of our historic structures and gardens.