The Seaside Garden in the heart of the campus provides a centralized focal point for the site. The Colonial Revival-style gardens were designed to offer an “oasis of beauty” to visitors and the surrounding community alike.
Over the past century the gardens have been shaped by three prominent landscape architects. First, Joseph Chandler (1863 -1945) laid out the original “Jacobean knot” pattern beds in 1909. Then, in 1924, Arthur Schurcliffe (1870–1957) added the wisteria arbor and raised the knot-patterned beds. Finally, with the addition of the Nathaniel Hawthorne Birthplace, Daniel Foley (1913-1999) added the current brick paths and yew shrubs in the late 1950s.