Delftware is a tin-glazed earthenware that originated in the Netherlands during the 16th century and is identifiable by its soft blue designs. Delftware was a popular import for 17th century America until the 1651 Navigation Act was implemented by King Charles II to prohibit trade between the colonies and the Dutch. English made delftware (lowercase d) then became a popular product within colonial America.
Dutch Delftware was owned by the House of the Seven Gables’ very own Mary Kitchen Turner, who lived in the house until her death in 1768. Mary was the widow of the wealthiest Turner, sea captain John Turner II, who died in 1742. Her probate lists Delftware multiple times, from Delft trays, plates, and cups to Delft teapots and punch bowls.
This hexagonal box was handmade in Holland exclusively for the House of the Seven Gables. It features highly detailed images of historic Salem sites: Chestnut Street, the Custom House, the Derby House, the Derby Wharf Lighthouse, East India Marine Hall and the Friendship. The removable lid features a large image of the House of the Seven Gables.