The Counting House
Year built: 1830
Built for: Unknown
Moved to current site: Unknown
The Counting House, circa 1830, is typical of the small buildings in which sea captains, or “supercargoes” like Salem-native, Nathaniel Bowditch, completed much of their business. This was a place to balance accounts, pay fees due, and figure profit before or after a sea journey. While this building dates slightly later than the time our merchant families were active in the Triangle and China Trades, it is a prime example of a counting house from Salem.
In the summer of 2007, renovations to the Counting House opened the space to children as a maritime discovery zone called Kids’ Cove at The Gables.