Pickman House Welcome Center for the Old Burying Point Cemetery
• Old Burying Point, also known as Charter Street Cemetery
• The Pickman House Cemetery Welcome Center at 43 Charter St.
• Witch Trials Memorial at 24 Liberty St.
Start your visit to this historic cemetery at the 1665 Pickman House Welcome Center to get oriented and shop for gifts. Begun in 1637, Old Burying Point is one of the oldest cemeteries in the country and the oldest of eight in Salem. The first surviving tombstones are dated 1673. Until then, grave markers were made of wood that deteriorated. Two judges who oversaw the witch trials are buried here — John Hathorne (great-great-grandfather of Nathaniel Hawthorne) and Bartholomew Gidney, along with numerous notable Salem residents. Though relatively small at 1.47 acres, there are 700 headstones and 17 box tombs here. None of those accused of witchcraft and executed are buried here because they were not allowed Christian burials. The whereabouts of most of their bodies is unknown. Also located at this site is the Salem Witch Trials Memorial, dedicated in 1992 by Nobel Laureate Eli Wiesel. It, like the cemetery, is intended to be a place of quiet and contemplation.
Pickman House Welcome Center for the Old Burying Point cemetery
Read More about the Charter Street Welcome Center
The cemetery and the memorial are next to each other, and a 14-minute walk from The Gables.