Position Title: Historical Interpreter Date: March 2022
Reports to: Visitor Services Operations Manager FLSA: Temporary, Non-Exempt
The Historical Interpreter is a member of the Visitor Services team that is responsible for providing a welcoming, engaging, friendly, and safe experience for visitors. Under the supervision of the Visitor Services Operations Manager with guidance from Visitor Services Specialists and Senior Historical Interpretive Staff, The Historical Interpreter supports interpretive efforts at the organization, interacts closely with museum visitors while delivering guided tours of historic houses and/or grounds. May also lead education programs, engage visitors in special hands-on activities, support admissions, and the museum store, and perform ambassador duties.
Essential Job Functions*:
- Work in cooperation with Visitor Services and Museum Store staff to provide a prompt, courteous experience to all our daily visitors.
- Support site interpretive efforts and special programming at The House of the Seven Gables in accordance with organization standards and guidelines. This includes but is not limited to delivering guided tours of the Turner-Ingersoll Mansion and the Nathaniel Hawthorne Birthplace; leading students in educational programs; engaging visitors in hands-on activities; supporting admissions and the museum store; and performing ambassador duties.
- Answer visitors’ questions regarding the historic site, Salem and surrounding area, and other attractions in town in a positive, respectful, and hospitable manner.
- Help the organization achieve strategic objectives to promote repeat visitation. Share information with visitors about and encourage attendance at upcoming events and programs.
- Encourage visitors to support the organization through membership.
- Help organization comply with health and safety guidelines by supporting the cleaning and sanitation efforts for high-visitor-touch surfaces using CDC-suggested disinfectant cleaning supplies and appropriate PPE.
- Attend required meetings and training sessions online and in-person when necessary.
Other duties and responsibilities:
- Cross-train in other departments, such as admissions and the museum store. Provide coverage as needed for call-outs, vacation, and other extraneous circumstances.
- Perform other routine duties as assigned, including assisting other departments with projects or tasks.
Preparation, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Related experience preferable.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Ability to speak comfortably and project clearly in public.
- Ability to take direction easily and adjust to changing circumstances quickly.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public and other staff members.
- Must be visitor-focused.
- Proficiency in email communication.
- Proficiency with Blackbaud Altru or another point-of-sale system a plus.
- This position has no supervisory responsibility.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
- Constant use of speech, hearing, and sight abilities.
- Must be able to climb stairs (including the secret stairway) and stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to have continuous dialog for long periods of time.
- Must be comfortable in small, crowded spaces.
- Must be able to work indoors and outdoors in most weather conditions.
- Must arrive at work on time and clock in and out as scheduled. Additional time must be approved by management.
- Must comply with department dress code while at work and meet established grooming and hygiene standards.
- May need to kneel, bend, crouch, reach or stretch to perform daily tasks.
- Must be able to lift up to 30lbs.
Availability: Must be available to work at least one weekend day and through at least the end of October.
Starting Pay Rate: $14.25/hour; part-time position with a flexible schedule.
Peak Season Bonus: From July 1st – November 14th , all staff who remain employed through October 31st will receive a $1.00/hour bonus based upon the number of hours worked during this time. (e.g., if you work 24 hours per week for 19 weeks, you’ll receive $456 in late November