Hooper-Hathaway Roof Project and Updates on Our Gardens!

August 4, 2014 Published by Guest Author

Summer 2014 Newsletter PreservationThe Hooper-Hathaway roof restoration project is underway! This is a project of considerable importance to our National Historic Landmark. The Hooper-Hathaway House will undergo a total roof restoration, including all new red cedar shingles, rake boards, gutters, and downspouts, as well as other needed maintenance. This restoration will return the house to the appearance it had when first restored over a century ago. Currently, the roof has been stripped on one side, and rake board replacement and shingling has begun. Additional work on the dormers will include copper gutter replacement and window repair/replacement as needed.

The Hooper-Hathaway restoration project was made possible by the generosity of donors and a matching grant from the Cultural Facilities Fund, a program that the Massachusetts Cultural Council and MassDevelopment administer jointly. The Cultural Facilities Fund is an initiative of the Commonwealth to increase public and private investment in cultural facilities throughout the state. Approval for this project was recently granted by the Massachusetts Historical Commission and the Salem Historical Commission.

A fine example of a First Period house, the Hooper-Hathaway House was built in 1682 for Benjamin Hooper. During the 19th-century, the house was known as the Old Bakery, operated by baker George Hathaway. The house was originally located at 23 Washington Street in Salem, until in 1911; at the urging of preservationist William Sumner Appleton of SPNEA (Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities), the house was moved from its original location to The House of the Seven Gables site by Caroline Emmerton. The house retains some of its incredible post-medieval features, including its impressive second-story overhang and exposed post-and-beam structure, but also showcases the Colonial Revival restoration efforts of Joseph Everett Chandler, who worked on the house after it was moved in 1911.

Created by the Massachusetts Legislature in 2006, the Fund offers capital, feasibility, technical assistance, and systems replacement grants for eligible nonprofits engaged in the arts, humanities, or interpretive sciences. The Fund has awarded nearly $70 million in grants to cultural organizations across Massachusetts. For more information, visit the MassDevelopment and Massachusetts Cultural Council websites.

In addition to the major roof preservation work, our ground and maintenance team has been busy with many other projects over the last few months. The Primm House received a slight makeover, spring cleanup was completed, and the garden beds were completely rebuilt using Port Orford white cedar boards, a naturally rot-resistant, durable wood. These beds are home to the geraniums, snapdragons, and roses that are currently in bloom, along with many other beautiful flowers and plants. The entire campus continues to improve with the ongoing stewardship and care provided by our groundskeeper Bruce Campbell and gardener Robin Kanter and her staff.

 

This post was written by Guest Author